Wednesday, May 16, 2012

mini miracles.


Today I witnessed a mini miracle. I share it with you now because sometimes it's nice to be reminded that miracles still exist. I went to a baby shower this morning. Lily woke up from a two hour nap acting kind of funny. She was holding her breath and whimpering a little. I thought she was just feeling jittery from her nap. She wouldn't eat anything substantial at the shower (which is very unlike her), and about halfway through, she started wailing. I thought she was overwhelmed so I took her outside, which usually calms her down. She continued to cry inconsolably, so I took her home. At home, I could tell she was in pain. She continued to scream as I hunted down the infant's ibuprofen. I gave her some and then held her in my arms rocking her. She laid her head on my shoulder and, with her eyes clenched shut, continued to scream and cry in my ear. Her face showed so much pain; it about broke my heart that I couldn't help her. No amount of "shh-ing," rocking, or soft talking in her ear, was helping.

I had only given her the medicine a minute or two before, so I thought it would be a while before it kicked in. So I closed my eyes and said a prayer asking Heavenly Father to give Lily comfort, whatever may be bothering her. I wasn't even finished with my prayer when Lily suddenly stopped crying. She whimpered a couple of times and then was fast asleep on my shoulder. I knew immediately that Heavenly Father had answered my prayer. I could feel the love he has for me and for Lily in that moment. I knew that he cared that I was worried, and that he felt Lily's pain. I know that he answered my prayer, and I know that he answers all our prayers, in one way or another. I am very grateful for this experience today that reminded me that miracles still happen, sometimes in very small, seemingly insignificant ways. I'm also grateful for a Father in heaven who knows us, loves us, and listens to us.

3 comments:

Mariley Johnson said...

Sweet babies...How's she doing now? Thanks for sharing.

Jill said...

What a touching experience, Meghan. I hope Lily is doing well now. Thanks for sharing.

Vanessa said...

Thanks for sharing that. What a special experience. I hope Lily is feeling better now.