Thursday, December 1, 2011

Harry Potter Party, Part I

In mid-November, Jill and I threw a Harry Potter party. It was epic. I'll include some of the info we used just in case you're curious, and because we scoured the Internet to find it all so maybe someone else won't have to.

I made the brick wall with a sponge and muslin. This is a helpful tutorial, but I didn't go into as much detail. We hung it with nails.

DSC_0002
The sign I made using Mod Podge, gold paint, and a 9 3/4 printout found here

DSC_0003
Honeydukes labels came from here as well as the fonts. I used GIMP, a free Photoshop-like software, and Word to customize them.

DSC_0010

The Goblet of Fire (costume contest) + broom favor bags made by Jill

Potions-making may have been my favorite part.
For most labels I purchased templates from here
then customized them using GIMP. On a few others, I found pre-made labels on blogs/Google searches.



DSC_0019

DSC_0023
Jill and I made the floating candles with toilet paper rolls, masking tape, hot glue guns, and battery-operated tea lights. This is a helpful tutorial.

10 comments:

Kendra L. said...

WOW!!! That looks freakin' cool. For a Harry Potter Party. ;) You went all out!!

Kelli and Derek Hill said...

OH MY GOODNESS. I am seriously in awe right now. That potions class! And the brick wall! I WILL be copying this at one point in my life, you may be sure. :) LOVE you!

Sue said...

Wow! I am so jealous at your party skills and wish we were still there so maybe we could have come. Jimmy doesn't like HP but I'm obsessed!

Marissa said...

That WAS epic. You put in so much work and it payed off - one of the best parties I've ever been to.

Becca and Kent said...

That looks amazing! Like something you'd see on pinterest. :) I think my favorite is the brick wall. So cool!

Heather said...

MEEEG!! This is simultaneously the dorkiest and most incredible thing I have ever seen. Oh how I wish I could have been there! I think the potions are my favorite part, and I am AMAZED by the lights, and the brick wall...holy cow, I am so HP inspired. Is there a part 2 to your part 1? If so, I am full of thrilled anticipation. Love you!

JOHNNY.BECKY.HAZEL said...

Ok, this party rocks! That took a lot of work, but I'm sure it was well worth it. Awesome!

Michael said...

Ugh...I hate that we weren't there. Looks awesome, though. And who was that dressed up as Lucius? Great costume.

Becca and Ashton said...

Epic is an under statement.

Humaun Kabir said...

Interesting post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting.
jenna marbles dog