Thursday, October 22, 2009

S.O.S.

Does anyone know how long a car can run with the gas light on? I don't know where I picked this myth up, but I've always thought it was about 60 miles. Because of this, I frequently let my car run until she starts to stutter a little. I know this is probably bad for my car, but that 60 mile myth has always kept me reassured.

At 7:45 a.m. yesterday I ran out of gas on my way to work. My car coasted and locked up in the neighborhood of 100 North and 500 East. I walked the 9 blocks down to the gas station ("Thank Heaven for 7-11", indeed!) and bought a little gas can for 9 bucks.


I bought about $2 of gas, and walked the 9 blocks back. It took me 45 minutes and it was way better than sitting at work! It was cold and the leaves were falling and I got to contemplate things. Like how Provo is one of the only places that I could ask someone for a ride at the 7-11 and actually make it safely to my destination (I still decided against it). I also love the houses south of campus. Some of them are really cute and quaint. After working up an appetite, I treated myself to an egg McMuffin and then went to work. Such a lovely way to spend the morning, although I won't be coasting on empty anymore.

6 comments:

Jana Porter said...

haha that's really funny. i probably would have just sat and cried until someone brought me gas... i'm whimpy like that!

Alex (and Trevor!) said...

This really is funny :) As soon as my gas light comes on, I try to find a gas station! :) I'm not about to take my chances!

Kelli and Derek Hill said...

hahaha! that is hilarious! i do the same thing- i always go forever without filling up the gas tank. i used to share a car with my bro in high school and i think i developed the habit back then because I would never want to be the one to have to fill it up! but that is a great story! by the way we are enjoying the hp movies. thanks again! now that your blog is private I forget to come check it so it was fun to catch up!

Ariel said...

My favorite part about this post was that it had a label of stupidity-- that definitely made me laugh, thank you!

Molly said...

hahahaha!! OH Meghan, I giggled out loud at the hidden "BRB" under the wind shield wiper. That was my favorite part.

Don't you just love fall walks? Even though I hate waking up early, I DO enjoy being outside (once I am awake and chipper) when it is chilly and the sun is barely up/just behind the mountains. So refreshing:)

Jenny said...

haha! Meg! you're so funny! That's one of my biggest nightmares.