Monday, February 18, 2008

I Get By With a Little Help...


(Brillante, Molly and I)


Oh my, I should be doing lots of homework, but I can't concentrate, so here I am. Today my friend Molly took me out to lunch, something we do every other week just to catch up. We've been friends since we were 11 or 12 years old and she was my only LDS friend back home. She
lived three hours away, but we've made it work for about 10 years now. It seems like such a long time ago! I love when we get together though because I feel like we always have the best conversations. Today she said that sometimes it feels like nobody understands how she's feeling, and I'm sure we can all relate to that. I feel like we're able to understand each other though, not
always, but sometimes, when nobody else is able to. I was thinking how good it is to have a friend like her. It got me thinking about my other friends too and how lucky I am to have them. Friends who listen, who forgive when I don't deserve it, who look out for me, who show me new things and different perspectives. Friends that will stay up in the freezing cold to watch a Japanese sunrise with me. Friends who will put up with me for hours on end in a car driving cross-country. Friends who will do weird things with me and not think they're weird, who will stick with me on a hike up a 12,000 foot mountain, who can trick me into mud wrestling and rafting a class 5. Friends who push me to be better than I am. The ones that comfort and who are so patient and kind. Friends who know what I looked like in elementary school and still love me, who have been with me from the beginning. Don't we all have friends like this?
I don't claim to be an expert on friendship, I know I can always do better. I definitely know people who astound me with their love and loyalty, but it's definitely something I value and aspire to. I've realized through my years of friendship with different people that it doesn't matter people's upbringing, circumstances, religion or any of that. Some of our greatest friends are the most unlikely, and each person is a blessing to the other. A High Councilman spoke in church yesterday and said that we've been children for most of our lives, so we've been recipients of love. That's been the predominant feeling in our lives so far. He said it was time to complete the cycle. "As much as you need to be loved, you need to love someone else." I think friendship is one of the best ways we can show that love.

Going back to Molly's comment about nobody understanding how we feel; we made an amendment to that statement. Jesus Christ is our greatest Friend, and as well as Molly and I may relate to each other, He is the only person who truly understands everything about us--every worry, embarrassment, disappointment, joy and triumph. He's felt it all. He gave everything he had, even his life, because he loves us. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you" (John 15:13-14). I love this scripture and the Savior for his tender example of friendship. I love my friends for blessing my life and the lives of so many others by following His example.

(My best hometown girls)







No comments: